This blog is devoted to my architectural sketching adventures and musings about the integration of architecture and sketching.
I hope not only to share my own on-location architectural sketches but provide tips and methodologies for sketching and understanding architecture.
Also, most importantly, I wish to explore ways in which, in a digital age, we can not only defend but
promote freehand sketching within the architectural profession.

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

More Loose Lines

Here are close ups of some of those sketches of Palladio’s Tempietto Barbaro that I did last week.

In recent weeks I have been experimenting with ways that I can sketch complicated buildings in a looser way (so that I am not stressing about perspective so much) Of course, being an architect, I do have the principles of perspective programmed into my brain, so that although I am often too lazy to set it up accurately, and although sometimes my lines have a mind of their own, I instinctively know where the lines "should" go.

I choose this building as it has an interesting 3D form, nice colours (how very descriptive!!!) and not too complex so I would get bored sketching it over and over again. (I did all those sketches in my previous post in a hour or so one afternoon)

Also refer to a previous post here where I first starting exploring different line styles...




1. Re-instated multiple lines. This is the style that I sketch in when I design. Starting with the main shapes, I draw quick rapid lines  correcting if needed as I go. My lines continue pass the edge of the object, creating 'architect's crossed corners. This inaccuracy allows me to draw my lines quicker and more confidently. (Aside: People often say that they can't draw a straight line... but I personally think that defining corners is more important.)
I am not sure that the above sketch is the best example of this... I want to try again with a finer pen, no cross hatching and really layer my lines to define the building.


 
2. The second example is Continuous line... this is a great example of how to loosen up before start a 'proper' sketch. I let my lines wonder around the building back and forth without worrying to much about distortion... FUN!
3. The third example... which I am not 100% sure about, is the open ended line. This is the opposite of my desire to define my corners. When I TRY to sketch this way (crossing corners is a reflex action!) I find that I need to work out which are the most important edges of the building to draw.




And here is the three styles in B&W and coloured next to each other.


7 comments:

  1. Very interesting....I like the third result best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Balaji... I am surprised that the open ended line appraoch is so effective... being taught in the 'define the corners' school!
    Ah! all fun!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am totally in love with this blog. Your sketches are relaxing to look at!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great info. Thanks for sharing. I always draw with a continuous line to capture the energy of the moment.
    Have a wonderful creative weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great blog. I have come back to art late in my life and would love to loosen up more, this is a real help.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, a very nice blog. You create very good sketches! I love it. Look at my site at http://www.wimvandewege.nl

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin